Abs are one of the most attractive features in an individual but require a lot of hard work. Many believe that simply doing crunches will melt the fat off their bellies and reveal their six pack, which is never the case. Burning fat is a full body process which doesn’t target specific areas. The abs exercise will simply develop your six pack and nothing more. It is important that you work the abs and lose the weight.
- Crunches: These are a better alternative to the sit ups which have a negative effect on your spine.
Lie down with your knees up and hands behind your head. Lift the head and neck as to contract the upper abs and then go back down, not letting your head touch the floor.
- Lying Leg Raise: A perfect move for the lower abs, this exercise can do wonders if done properly.
Lie down straight with your hands underneath your hips and contract your lower abs to raise your legs. They should be horizontal to your torso and while going back down should not touch the floor.
- Bicycle Crunch: While the above two exercises work the upper and lower abs respectively, this move works the entire midsection.
Lie down with your knees up and hands behind your head. Start moving your legs in a bicycle pedal motion while alternatively touching your elbow to the opposite knee.
- Russian Twist: This move works the abs as well as the oblique’s.
It works the same as the crunch but requires you to go slightly higher and then twist your torso towards both sides before coming back down again.
- Planks: This is an excellent exercise which not only targets the abs, but lower back as well. It is also great way to strengthen your core.
Go into a push up position and lower your arms so that you can rest on your forearms. No body part except the toes and arms can touch the ground.
Interval training is the best choice considering it will not only develop your abs but help you lose fat at the same time.
Do the exercises mentioned above for twenty seconds with ten seconds of rest in between. Once you get to the plank, try to hold it for as long as you can. After completing this round, repeat until the ten minutes are up. Rest for one minute between each round.