The arms are the most visible port of the body, which is why you should always give them focus. It is not all that difficult to get big biceps and triceps, but your arms will only look good as long as they are toned and well defined. That task is a painful process which requires a lot of work.
- Hammer Curl: Hold a dumbbell with palms facing inwards, bring it slightly higher than a 45 degree angle and pause before bringing it down again
- Dumbbell Curl: Do this the same as you would the above exercise, but instead with palms facing forward. On the reverse movement, do not bring your arms all the ways down.
- Cable Curl: Grab the handle and bring it towards your waist, curl the weight and after a seconds pause, bring it down slowly. As you to do each contraction, remember to keep your elbows as still as possible.
- Tricep Push Back: Hold dumbbells in both hands with palms facing inwards. Bend forward such that the upper arms are parallel to the torso and forearms are pointed towards the ground. Keeping the upper arms stationary, lift the weights until the arm is fully extended. After a brief pause bring them back to the original position.
- Cable Pushdown: The most common triceps exercise is also one of the best, not just to add size but also for adding definition. It is important to prevent your elbows from moving and to pull the weight as low as possible. Using a rope is a better option for this exercise.
- Dumbbell Overhead Extension: You can do this exercise with one hand for a lighter weight and both hands for a heavier one. Grab the dumbbell and hold it overhead. Bend your elbows and bring it down towards the back of the head, hold for a second and then bring it back to the overhead position. Slightly arch your back so that the dumbbell does not fall on your head.
Start with your biceps and do 12-15 reps for each exercise with a 30 second resting period in between. Do a total of three sets each. Take a two minute rest before you start with the triceps. Remember to use a lighter weight so that your arms don’t fatigue too quickly. Follow this routine three to four times a week and say hello to big guns!