Celery is a vegetable. Great way to start off, I know. But it is a very underrated vegetable. Spinach usually takes all the glory as the most beneficial veggie and apples are considered the healthiest of fruits. That leaves celery as an underappreciated vegetable that doesn’t get much recognition. That’s where I come in. Ever since being inspired by the Johnny Bravo episode featuring Mr. T, I have enjoyed all of its nutritious benefits.
- Celery is a great choice when trying to lose weight as it only contains 10 calories. It is also a delicious snack that fills you up and helps prevent cravings.
- It is great for digestion due to high water content and insoluble fiber.
- This veggie flushes out the extra fluids and prevents water retention. As a result it prevents bloating.
- It contains sodium, but it is not the same as table salt. This salt in celery is organic is a necessary part of your diet.
- Vitamin A protects vision and prevents age related degeneration. Celery provides 5% of your daily requirements.
- Research on celery consumption has revealed that it can inhibit growth of cancer cells and if regularly consumed can delay the formation of breast cancer cells.
- Celery is great for both cholesterol and circulation. It contains compounds that not only reduces cholesterol but also boosts the circulatory system and reduces blood pressure.
Facts and Recipes
One cup of chopped celery contains:
- 1 g protein
- 5 g fiber
- 0 g fat
- 22 mg Vitamin A
- 5 mg Vitamin K
Ants on a Log :
1 celery stick
Peanut or cashew butter
Take a celery stick and cut it into four pieces. Spread it with peanut or cashew butter and sprinkle some raisins on top.
4 ounce coconut water
4 celery sticks
Using a juicer, juice the coconut and celery. Add the lime and pour it all into the coconut water.
Thai Celery Salad with Peanuts:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoon fish sauce
6 diagonally sliced celery stalks
3 thinly sliced scallions
1 thinly sliced red chili
1 cup cilantro leaves
¼ cup chopped and roasted peanuts
Whisk the vegetable oil, lime juice and fish sauce. Toss with the celery stalks, scallions, chili, cilantro leaves and the roasted peanuts.
So the next time someone mentions celery, don’t make a weird face baceuase as you can see celery does wonders for you.