Lemon is a specie of a small evergreen tree that is native to Asia. The fruit is used for culinary and cleaning purposes. It contains citric acid which gives it a sour taste. Water is a liquid. Combine the two and you get lemon water or lemonade which is a refreshing drink not just for a hot summer’s day but also has many health benefits.
- Immune System Boost: Lemons contain a high amount of vitamin C which provide a boost to the immune system by helping avid infections and preventing you from getting sick.
- Aids in Digestion: The atomic structure of lemon juice is similar to that of the digestive juices found in the stomach. This tricks the liver into producing bile which keeps food moving through your body.
- Detoxification: Lemon water benefits the enzyme function by stimulating the liver to flush out the toxins. Because it is a mild diuretic, you will be going to the bathroom more often. All of this is to help detox the body and skin.
- Helps lose weight: Lemons contain a fiber called pectin. This makes you feel full for a longer period of time which means less hunger and cravings.
- Energy Boost: The scent of lemon has been found to reduce nausea and improve mood. Drinking in the morning can result in an energy boost due to the negative charged ions. This is because we receive energy from the atoms and molecules present in food.
- Reduce Inflammation: Even though it contains citric acid, lemon water can help reduce the acidity in the body. This prevents several diseases from occurring. It also removes the uric acid in the joins which is the main cause of inflammation.
The following are the benefits one cup of lemon juice adds to a glass of water.
- 61 calories
- 3 grams protein
- 6 grams sugar
- 0 grams fat
- 112 milligrams vitamin C
- 303 milligrams potassium
When buying lemons, make sure they are fully yellow and ripe. IF you store them in a sealed plastic bag, they will remain fresh for a longer period. The best way to utilize its benefits, is to drink it mild warm and in the morning before breakfast. If you like it cool and easy, you can squeeze lemon juice into an ice cube tray and freeze. This way you can pop it into a glass of water whenever you feel like it.