Losing a significant amount of weight can be a laborious task which tests the discipline of many, but continuing on this path and not regaining that weight is much more difficult. It requires great discipline to be able to resist the urge to gobble down on your favorite treats and to not cheat on your diet. Once you’ve lost that weight, you have achieved just the first goal. The second requires you to show patience as your body adapts to your new and healthy lifestyle.
Take it from someone who used to love snacking on candies, sodas and all kinds of junk foods that once you give them up, you never want to go near them again. That’s because when all of that junk leaves your body, you start feeling more energized.
Substituting sugar in your diet for something that tastes just as sweet yet doesn’t put on the weight, sounds like heaven for people who have a difficult time giving it up. There are many products out there today which are advertised this way, but which can actually be of benefit requires a bit of googling.
But do they actually help in losing weight?
Yes, they do. According to the American Diabetes Association, sugar substitutes may help people lose weight and also help diabetics control blood sugar. But that doesn’t mean you can go on drinking sodas and eating deserts thinking it’s alright. Like stated above, it’s not just about losing weight, it’s about not regaining it as well. These substitutes can be very helpful but they do not do all the work. Proper diet and exercise is also required.
What Doesn’t Work
- Saccharin (Sweet n Low ): It increase the toxic load and causes chronic diseases such as diabetes.
- Aspartame (Equal or NutraSweet): Studies have linked it with headaches and can also cause cancer.
- Acesulfame K: This is not only present in food, but also in mouthwashes and toothpastes. It contains a carcinogen which can lead to depression and cancer.
- Honey: The most natural and best sugar substitute, not only does it help lose weight when substituted for sugar, but also contains gut friendly bacteria.
- Agave Nectar: Made from the sap of the agave plant, its sweeter than sugar and also provides calcium and iron.
- Stevia (SweetLeaf): It is a zero calories substitute which tastes just like sugar and also increase insulin production.