It was previously thought that olive oil was the best fat to lose weight. A few years ago, a study was conducted to show that coconut oil is actually the best oil for losing weight. It revealed that the fatty acids which are present in our body fat are much more likely to found in olive oil. Coconut oil does not contain these mono-saturated fats and helps to convert the fat into energy. Coconut oil may be comprised of 90% saturated fat, but scientists state that its fat is largely made up of lauric acid, which is a medium-chain saturated fatty acid (MCT) that actually has a better effect on the heart than the other saturated fats.
How to Incorporate Coconut oil into your diet
Coconut oil is very versatile and can be used in a number of ways:
- Baking the Food: Use melted coconut oil in replacement of butter, shortening or other vegetable oils to prepare baked food items like cookies, muffins, cupcakes, brownies, scones, etc.
- Roast Vegetable: Use this oil to roast fresh vegetables like beets, butternut squash, rutabaga, capsicums, sweet potatoes, etc. by adding flavourful herbs to them for seasoning like lemon juice, thyme, rosemary salt and pepper.
- Prepare Popcorn: Make your own homemade popcorn by dropping the kernels in a pan and adding a spoonful of coconut oil.
- Nut Butter: Take a food processor and grind 2 cups of nuts like almonds, pecans or cashews and add 2 – 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Grind it till it is smooth and buttery. Also you can customize each batch by adding additional flavours like honey, flaxseeds, cinnamon, maple syrup or even ground coffee to it.
- Salad Dressing: Use a tablespoon of coconut oil in your salads.
- Mayonnaise: Prepare your own mayonnaise by using half of olive oil and half melted coconut oil.
- Granola: Bake homemade granola using coconut oil.
- Other Substitutes: You can also use this oil in any of these substitutes: spread it on the bread (like jam), replace your regular oil with coconut oil to sauté vegetables with it, use this oil in stir fries, pour it on your rice, in mashing potatoes or on baked potatoes, drop a spoonful in your smoothies for tropical flavor, pour this in your soups and sauces, etc.
No matter how you use it, it is guaranteed to help you lose weight (provided of course you don’t exceed the recommended dosage).